Relief from Chapped and Cracked Lips
We have more than our share of warm and sunny days in the Tampa Bay area. Unfortunately, this is prime weather to bring on dry, chapped and cracked lips. It’s not uncommon in the summer months to see lips that suffer from annoying, painful cracks. Many of us will experience chapped lips at some point this summer. Knowing the causes and what you can do to remedy chapped lips may save you from pain and discomfort all season long.
What Causes Dry, Chapped Lips?
There are many factors that can be the cause for dry, cracked lips such as climate change, sun damage, and wind exposure. Common contributing factors include dehydration, smoking, spicy food, or ill-fitting dental appliances. Certain medications can also be the culprit due to side effects and allergic reactions. There are also some serious medical conditions, such as diabetes, that cause chronic dry lip problems.
How to Get Relief from Chapped and Cracked Lips
• Stay Hydrated – It is recommended to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to stay hydrated and keep drinks that cause dehydration to a minimum, such as alcohol.
• Use Ointments – OTC creams work well, especially before you go to bed. Avoid balms with eucalyptus and menthol that could have a burning sensation.
• Don’t lick your lips. Saliva on your lips evaporates and removes moisture from them. Licking your lips will dry out your lips even further.
• Don’t Overuse Products – Frequent use and over-application of commercial skin treatments, such as flavored lip balms and cosmetics will also dry out your lips.
• Eat a Healthy Diet – Diets lacking in vitamins A, B, C, and E can contribute to cracked lips. Vitamin deficiency tends to take away moisture from the lips and result in dryness.
• Keep Regular Dental Checkups – You should have a professional dental cleaning and dental exam every 6 months to keep your smile healthy and catch any developing problems early.
Westchase Premier Dental is very much attuned with the oral health care of our
community. Contact Westchase Premier Dental at (813) 475-4528 for your next
checkup and cleaning. We look forward to being your family’s oral healthcare
providers and keep your smiles healthy and bright.
Smiling should never be painful!