5 Ways Pumpkin Spice Lattes Affect Your Teeth
With the shift of seasons from summer to fall, we experience many long, anticipated changes such as crisp, chilly weather, shorter daylight time, colorful foliage and last but not least, pumpkin spice everything! When you head out to your local coffee shop and you step in to the aroma of fresh brewed coffee and pumpkin spice, you simply cannot resist. Just remember to brush and rinse after drinking your favorite autumn drink, your teeth will thank you.
Our top 5 ways pumpkin spice lattes affect your teeth:
1. The Jitters – Coffee contains high levels of caffeine. A large volume of caffeine in your diet can lead to teeth clenching and tightening of the jaw. This can result in dental problems such as tooth sensitivity, cracked teeth and jaw pain.
2. The Sugar Shocker – Pumpkin spice lattes typically have more than 12 teaspoons of sugar. That’s more than double the recommended daily limit per person. Oh my! All that sugar sticks to your teeth and if it’s not brushed away, it can quickly be the culprit to cavities.
3. Coffee Breath – As coffee sticks to your tongue, bacteria grows and causes bad breath (Halitosis) and various other dental problems. Adding a tongue scraper to your normal dental care routine helps cut down on the build-up and keeps bad breath at bay.
4. The Dark Side – Your enamel is porous and coffee can enter the tiny gaps and cause tooth discoloration. This is where teeth whitening treatments come in. Even a rigorous home oral hygiene routine may not be enough to combat the staining effects caused by drinking coffee.
5. The Breakdown – The acid in coffee can wear away the enamel on your teeth. This process weakens the enamel and leaves your teeth more prone to decay.
At Westchase Premier Dental, we want everyone to be able to still enjoy their morning lattes in moderation. We provide our patients and community with health and nutritional information to keep your smiles beautiful and healthy. Remember to brush as soon as possible following a sugary drink, maintain a vigilant hygiene routine at home, and stay on top of your regular cleanings and checkups.
For those seeking a healthier option, here is one of our favorite recipes we have found to be much easier on your smile: The Ultimate Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
Give us a call at (813) 475 – 4528 to schedule your next dental checkup or to discuss teeth whitening to combat staining and bring back your bright, beautiful smile. We look forward to hearing from you!